Linux

A place to share you passions and hobbies outside of the world of Gaming
Stoner
I got an excuse

Linux

Postby Stoner » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:51 am

As the title states, Linux.

Everything about it, gaming on Linux, native, wine, everyday use and distro exploring.

What is your experience, if you have some.

I am currently using ZenWalk on a 12yo laptop.
Going to install SteamOs on my old pc to test it..
The next distro on the list is Lakka, which will probably remain on the system as the main os, if the tests are successful.
Tw33kA
Teh Boss

Re: Linux

Postby Tw33kA » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:26 pm

talk to eazy,he currently runs linux :)
Dont ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness for weakness.
Eazy
I got an excuse

Postby Eazy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Have been using only Linux for + 10 years. Tried a bunch of distros like Yoper Linux, fedora, Arch Linux, all flavors Ubuntu etc. but always came back to Debian. Used Kubuntu for some time, but felt it wasn't that stable. Could as well use Debian with KDE as (K)Ubuntu is based on Debian. Ubuntu is really the same as "Debian testing/unstable" with some extra apps. Have experimented a lot for some years with compiling kernels, script editing (a guess work as I don't know how to script) to server my purposes etc. but eventually got tired of tinkering and now I'm just using it. I have only played UT-series and never had any interest in other games. Unreal, UT99, UT2004 and UT4 run natively i Linux. There are some minor things in UT2004 that don't work in Linux. You cant copy/paste and the numpad on the keyboard does not work in the server browser, but other than that it works as good as in Windows. At the time I used Kubuntu I made a Tips/hint thread on Ubuntu forum about playing UT2004 on Linux: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=374469 Its really old by now so its not that useful.

I also made some themes for KDE 3.5: https://www.kde-look.org/member/57934/

I'm actually thinking of moving over to Windows 10 but I found its just as hard to change to Windows as it was to change to Linux.
Stoner
I got an excuse

Postby Stoner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:40 pm

That's actually great news :)
I tested probably Like-A hundred+ distros, main and sub-distros. I must say that avoiding Ubuntu is the best thing i've done in the Linux world. Debian on the other hand is a distro that i really like. Some say that's basically ubuntu but oh myy how wrong they are..

Well, i'll test SteamOs soon, and post here the results if anyone will be interested :)
Stoner
I got an excuse

Postby Stoner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Eazy wrote:I also made some themes for KDE 3.5: https://www.kde-look.org/member/57934/

I'm actually thinking of moving over to Windows 10 but I found its just as hard to change to Windows as it was to change to Linux.

I've seen the themes, i really like them, they look great man! I actually think i might have used Azenis on a distro, and your desk looks awesome :D

Yes, that is a bit harder to do. Going from Linux on windows is like going on a Donkey from a (Horse)Leopard.
Much harder than vice-versa, as far as usability, performance and overall usage is concerned. Although, windows is much easier to use and get used to(for non linux folks).

Return to “Hobbies and Interests”